Picture of Car Accident FAQ

How do I report my car accident?

First, you should never flee the scene of a crash. Provide any necessary help after the crash and call the local police if there was substantial property damage, death, injury, a hit and run, or an accident involving an intoxicated driver. Provide law enforcement with any necessary information but remember that anything you say can be used against you in the court of law. Be polite but cautious as to what you say. The police will later make an unbiased car accident report.

You should also inform your car insurance company of any accidents. By Florida law, every vehicle with four or more wheels is required to purchase Florida Car Insurance coverage with a minimum of $100,00 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) each. Since Florida is a No-Fault Insurance state, the PIP benefits will cover medical bills and lost wages. Insurance companies have to pay for 80% of medical bills and 60% of lost wages.

What should I say to the Insurance company?

You have to report your accident with your auto insurance company, but remember that what you say can affect your case. Report the clear facts of the accidents, give your information and the other driver’s information, but you should not discuss fault without first consulting with an attorney.

If you hire a lawyer and the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, decline to answer. Inform them that your attorney will contact them. If an attorney or anyone on an attorney’s behalf attempts to solicit your case at the hospital, scene of the accident, by phone call or letter, ask them to leave. It is wrong for them to reach out to you directly after your accident.

Should I settle with the insurance company?

An insurance company’s first offer is likely not the best possible offer. Insurance adjusters profit from lowballing settlements to protect the company’s bottom line. As a rule of thumb, you should consult your case with an attorney if there was significant property damage and or personal injury. If you are injured, they will probably not account for all of your injuries, which can be costly in the future.

Call us today at 1-800 INJURED to be connected with an attorney who will review your options with you. Our network of professional car accident attorneys do not require any out-of-pocket fees, and they handle cases on a contingency fee basis. This agreement ensures that you will not pay any legal fees unless your attorney recovers compensation.

Should I go to the doctor after a minor injury?

Yes! You should visit the doctor after an accident regardless of how you feel. It is typical for signs of injury to appear weeks after the date of the crash. Some minor injuries can be indicators of future illnesses, including soft tissue injuries. To be safe, you should discuss all pains that have emerged since your accident.

My medical bills exceeded my PIP coverage, what can I do?

Sometimes the medical bills and lost wages following a car accident exceed the PIP coverage provided by your insurance company. By law, your insurance provider is only required to pay 80% of medical bills and 60% of your lost wages. Moreover, depending on your deductible, you may be responsible for the first $1,000 in medical bills and lost wages before your coverage kicks in. For many people, this coverage is not enough.

Fortunately, there are exceptions to the statute. People who are not at-fault and were injured in a car accident can sue the liable driver if their medical bills exceed $10,000. In these cases, compensation for past and future medical bills, any lost wages, and future loss of earning potential.

Victims of car accidents can also sue the liable driver if they suffered a permanent injury. Permanent damage is a permanent loss of vital bodily function, significant scarring, disfigurement, disability, or death. In Florida, you could sue the responsible party for economic and non-economic damages. Financial compensation would cover any out-of-pocket expenses like past and future medical bills, medication, and lost wages. Meanwhile, non-economic damages pay for any psychological harm stemming from the accident. This compensation would cover the pain and suffering portion of your claim.

It has been a while since my accident. Can I still file a lawsuit?

In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is four years. This law means that you have four years, from the date of the accident, to file a lawsuit petition in court. If the accident resulted in a death, the deadline is two years. However, you should not delay your case. Since evidence is not timeless, the sooner you hire an attorney, the better.

Call 1-800 INJURED After an Accident

If you were injured after an accident, it is essential that you hire an experienced personal injury attorney. You may be tempted to settle with your insurance company to receive some temporary relief, but don’t. They are likely offering an amount that may not cover future medical expenses and lost wages. Once you settle, you can’t go back. Any car accident injury warrants proper medical examination and the legal advice of a competent attorney. Call us today, and we will connect you with an attorney dedicated to getting you the compensation you need.

1-800 INJURED is an attorney and medical referral service that helps clients like you every day. Our network of honest attorneys will work with you to ensure that all your injuries are accounted for, and that expensive medical bills don’t compromise your future. You shouldn’t have to suffer due to someone else’s negligence. Let one of the lawyers within the 1-800 INJURED network handle the legal work so that you can focus on recovery. Call us today at 1-800 INJURED and get your life back on track.

Related Articles