Driver Fatigue Car Accidents in South Florida

Car accidents caused by drunk and distracted drivers have gained a great deal of attention over the past years, but little publicity has gone towards crashes caused by drowsy drivers. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association, driver fatigue contributes to about 100,000 car accidents each year, which often result in devastating personal injuries and even death.

If you or a loved was hurt in a car accident caused by driver fatigue, a Miami personal injury attorney could help you get the compensation you need to recover. Call us toll-free at 1-800 INJURED to get connected with an experienced car accident attorney from our referral network today.

Compensation After An Accident

Florida law recognizes the principle that no one should have to suffer because of someone else’s negligence and has procedures in place to regulate compensation for car accidents.

Insurance Claims

Since Florida is a “No-Fault” state, individuals can receive compensation from their car insurance provider for some of their accident damages regardless of which driver is liable for the crash. By law, all vehicles with four or more wheels should have full liability car insurance with a minimum of $10K in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. These PIP benefits are intended to cover your accident-related medical bills and lost wages.

Unfortunately, Florida law only requires insurance companies to pay for 80% of medical bills and 60% of lost wages. Moreover, depending on the deductible of your insurance plan, you may be responsible for a substantial amount of out-of-pocket expenses before your coverage kicks in.

However, the good news is, that expenses that aren’t covered by your auto insurance provider could be paid for by your health insurance. For instance, MedPay handles first-party claims and pays for medical bills regardless of fault. They won’t cover lost wages, but it can pay for deductibles, coinsurance, and copays of other insurance types (including your PIP benefits). So after your car insurance pays 80% of your medical bills, Medpay would cover the remaining 20%. MedPay is optional and the benefits you have depend on your insurance policy. Contact your health insurance company for a better understanding of the coverage you currently have.

Personal Injury Lawsuits

There are exceptions to Florida’s No-fault Insurance law, which allows certain individuals to recover additional compensation for their car accident damages through a personal injury lawsuit. If you have more than $10K in medical bills and lost wages, or you have sustained a permanent injury, you may be able to sue the at-fault driver for any out-of-pocket expenses stemming from the accident (ex. medical bills and lost wages) and intangible losses, like your pain and suffering.

Call 1-800 INJURED Today!

Whether you are filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit, having legal representation could help you get the maximum compensation you need to get back on your feet. You already have so much on your plate. Let the attorneys handle the draining legal work so that you can focus on your recovery.

Call us toll-free at 1-800 INJURED today to get connected with an experienced personal injury attorney near you. 1-800 INJURED is an attorney and medical referral service that helps clients like you get connected with the professionals they need after an accident. We work with a network of attorneys who will thoroughly investigate the evidence of your car accident to bring your case to a successful resolution. Call us today and get started on the brighter side of justice.

Related Articles