Des Moines Car Accident Lawyer

Photo of a Rolled Over Car

If you were recently in a car accident and injured, you may be wondering if you can file a personal injury claim against the other driver. You can sue someone after a car accident, but it’s essential to understand the circumstances under which you can file a lawsuit and the process involved. 

Here are some key points to consider:

Negligence: To file a lawsuit after a car accident, you typically need to demonstrate that the other driver was negligent, and their negligence was a direct cause of your injuries or damages. Negligence means the other driver failed to exercise reasonable care on the road, such as by speeding, running a red light, or driving while distracted.

Insurance Claims: In many cases, car accident claims are initially handled through insurance companies. You’ll typically file a claim with your own insurance company (if you have the appropriate coverage), and they may seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. However, insurance settlements may not cover all your expenses, especially if you have significant injuries or other losses.

If the insurance settlement doesn’t adequately compensate you or if liability is disputed, you have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. This lawsuit seeks compensation for medical expenses, property damage, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages.

Evidence: To support your lawsuit, you’ll need evidence such as accident reports, medical records, eyewitness statements, and any other relevant documentation that shows the other driver’s negligence and the extent of your injuries and damages. Hiring a Des Moines car accident lawyer will enable you to do so. Speaking of…

Legal Representation: While it isn’t legally required, it’s absolutely advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney if you’re considering filing a lawsuit. An attorney can assess the strength of your case, help you navigate the legal process, negotiate with the other party’s insurance company, and represent your interests in court if necessary.

Settlement vs. Trial: Most personal injury cases are settled out of court through negotiations between attorneys and insurance companies. Going to trial is generally a last resort when an agreement cannot be reached. Your lawyer will work towards a settlement, but be prepared for trial if necessary.

Legal and medical professionals will be able to offer the most up-to-date information on prevalent laws, rules, and regulations affecting your personal injury claim. We recommend you consult with a qualified Des Moines car accident lawyer who specializes in this type of law to evaluate your specific situation and provide guidance tailored to your needs. You can find one through 1-800-Injured. 1-800-Injured is a medical and legal referral network who connects clients with experienced professionals able to help them with their unique personal injury needs. After an initial consultation with our team, we reach out to our network in order to find an attorney who is ready and willing to take the case as soon as possible. Keep in mind that there is a time limit, known as the statute of limitations, for filing a personal injury lawsuit.