Published on September 27, 2016
Messing up a personal injury claim is easily done. Any little slip up can set back your claim, so it’s important to understand how the process works and why you should or shouldn’t do certain things.
Here are some things to watch out for following a slip and fall injury:
- Don’t be afraid to tell a manager. Some people may want to leave right away because they feel embarrassed, but it’s important to bring the incident and the hazard that caused it to the manager’s attention right away.
- Don’t apologize. This may impair your case, since the liability can be shifted due to the apologetic statement, that shifts the blame towards you.
- Don’t hesitate to speak to any witnesses. Get the contact information from anyone that may have seen the incident. If you need statements from witnesses to reinforce your claim later, you won’t regret this step.
- Take photos of the evidence. Take close-ups and photos of any details that may reinforce your claim.
- Don’t disregard any pain or discomfort caused by the incident. Even if the pain isn’t intense, it is recommended that you go to the hospital, medical center, or your primary care doctor to get examined as soon as you can.
- Do NOT skip any doctor’s and/or physical therapy appointments. The insurance companies will be closely following everything you do following the incident in order to lower your settlement and prove that you aren’t that badly affected by the incident.
- Don’t give the insurance company a recorded statement. They will try to find absolutely any little thing you say against you in order to lower your claim. We discussed this in a blog a few weeks back. Find out how to avoid any mistakes involving insurance companies following accidents here.
- Don’t sign any documents the insurance company sends your way. You don’t have to sign a medical release form. Be careful what you sign. We also discussed this in the article mentioned above.
- Don’t accept a settlement without speaking to a knowledgeable team of legal experts first. Sometimes, companies rush to a settlement, hoping you will accept it before speaking with an attorney. This allows them to minimize your settlement.
If you or a loved one has been victim of a slip and fall accident in Broward, Miami-Dade, or Palm Beach country and need a personal injury attorney anywhere in Florida, call us at 1-800-INJURED, so we can connect you to a lawyer who will get you the most of your benefits. Insurance companies will try to give you the bare minimum of what you should be entitled to. We have attorneys all over Florida who are ready to help you anytime, so contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 1-800-INJURED.